Forgot PAN Card Number? Here’s How to Retrieve It
A PAN Card, or Permanent Account Number Card, is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric code issued by the Income Tax Department of India to individuals and entities for the purpose of tracking their financial transactions and tax liabilities. It is a mandatory identification document for various financial transactions, such as opening a bank account, filing income tax returns, and conducting high-value transactions. However, losing and Forgot PAN Card Number along with the PAN Card number can be a cause for concern. But worry not, as there are ways to retrieve your lost PAN Card number and get a duplicate PAN Card issued.
What is PAN Card?
A PAN Card is a government-issued document that serves as an identification and tracking tool for individuals and entities’ financial transactions and tax obligations. It contains a 10-digit alphanumeric code unique to each PAN Card holder. It is used for various purposes, including filing income tax returns, making financial transactions, and establishing an identity for official purposes.
What to Do If I Lost and Forgot PAN Card Number?
The PAN card is a Very Crucial Photo Identity Document, Lost and Forgot PAN Card Number should be leading various circumstances. So you should follow the regularisation if you already Lost and Forgot PAN Card Number.
- Lodge a police complaint.
- Notify the Income Tax Department about the loss.
- Apply for a duplicate PAN card using Form 49A or Form 49AA, depending on your residency status.
- Submit the application along with required documents, including proof of identity, proof of address, and a copy of the police complaint, to the nearest PAN card service center or authorized agencies NSDL or UTIITSL.
- Pay the processing fee, if applicable.
- Track your application status online.
- Once approved, the duplicate PAN card will be sent to your registered address.
- Update your PAN details wherever it is linked, such as with your bank accounts, investments, and other financial transactions.
What happens If I Lost My PAN Card?
If you lose and Forgot PAN Card Number along with the physical PAN Card then you should be facing some common problems, such as
- Difficulty in financial transactions.
- Potential misuse of PAN card.
- Difficulty in filing taxes.
- Inconvenience in official processes.
- Risk of financial loss.
- Reapplication and processing fee.
- Potential impact on credit score.
What happens If I Lost and Forgot PAN Card Number Also?
If you also Forgot PAN Card Number also then you should getting faced some problems, like
- It can be challenging to retrieve the PAN Card number.
- Unable to Use During Account Opening
- Difficulty in filing taxes.
- Without PAN Number getting the Duplicate PAN Card
How To Know PAN Card Number if Forgot PAN Card Number?
There are several ways to Know your Lost and Forgot PAN Card Number. To know your Forgot PAN Card Number, you can follow these Processes:
Process 1: Visit the Income Tax Department Website
- Visit the official website of the Income Tax Department – https://incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/e-services.aspx.
- Click on the “Know Your PAN” link.
- Enter your Name, Father’s Name, and Date of Birth in the respective fields.
- Fill in the captcha code as displayed on the screen.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- If the details provided by you match with the records of the Income Tax Department, your PAN card number will be displayed on the screen.
Process 2: Contact income tax/NSDL/UTI Helpline Number
Contacting the Help Desk if Forgot PAN Card Number: You can also contact the help desk of the Income Tax Department, NSDL, or UTI for assistance in retrieving your PAN card number. PAN Card Customer Care Number contact details can be found on their respective websites and below.
|Organization||Toll-Free Number||Additional Information|
|Income Tax Department||18001801961||Available 24×7|
|Protean eGov Technologies Limited||1800 222 990||Available 24×7|
|NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited)||(020) 272 18080||Or Check the Regional Office Contact Number at https://www.utiitsl.com/branchlocator|
|UTI (UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited)||(+91) 033 40802999||Or Check Regional Office Contact Number at https://www.utiitsl.com/branchlocator|
Process 3: Check Somewhere Else
If you have used your PAN card for activities like opening a bank account or making transactions, you can check with the bank or other entities where you have submitted your PAN card. They may be able to provide you with your PAN card number. It’s important to approach them in a friendly manner and provide the necessary details for verification. Using simple and easy-to-understand language can help ensure effective communication.
Process 4: Contact your Representative
If you have applied for your PAN card online, you should have received a receipt or an e-PAN copy in your email. You can also ask the representative who helped you with your PAN card application for assistance. They should be able to provide you with the necessary details in a friendly and helpful manner.
How to Get the Lost PAN Card?
If you have lost your PAN card and need to obtain a duplicate one, here are the steps you can follow:
- Visit the PAN Card Application official website of NSDL or UTIITSL
- Fill out the application form with accurate details, including your personal information, PAN number (which you will get from the above process), and details of the lost PAN card.
- Attach necessary documents such as proof of identity (e.g., Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID, etc.), proof of address (e.g., Aadhaar card, passport, utility bill, etc.), and a copy of the police complaint filed for the lost PAN card.
- Submit the filled application form along with the attached documents to the nearest PAN card service center or authorized agencies NSDL or UTIITSL.
- Pay the processing fee as specified by the authorities.
- Track the status of your application online on the official website of NSDL or UTIITSL using the acknowledgment number provided to you at the time of submitting the application.
- Once your application is approved, the duplicate PAN card will be sent to your registered address within a few weeks.
Losing or Forgot PAN Card Number can be a worrying situation as it is an essential document in various financial and tax matters. But with online services and the right steps, finding a lost or Forgot PAN Card Number is relatively easy. It is very important to act immediately by visiting the official websites or contacting the relevant authorities to apply for a duplicate PAN card. Further, preventive measures like keeping PAN cards safe, taking digital copies, and updating PAN details with financial institutions can avoid future hassles. Always remember to be careful and follow the necessary steps to protect your PAN card details. If you have additional questions or concerns, it is recommended that you seek guidance from official sources or consult a qualified professional.
What should I do if I have Forgot PAN Card Number?
If you have lost your PAN card, you should immediately lodge an FIR (First Information Report) at the nearest police station to report the loss.
What are the consequences of losing my PAN card?
Losing your PAN card can have various consequences. It can make financial transactions difficult, have legal implications, and create challenges in tax filing.
Can I still use my PAN card number if I have lost the physical card?
Yes, you can still use your PAN card number for financial transactions and tax purposes, even if you have lost the physical card. However, it is advisable to apply for a duplicate PAN card as soon as possible.
How can I apply for a duplicate PAN card if I have lost my original card?
To apply for a duplicate PAN card, you can visit the official website of the Income Tax Department or contact the nearest NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) or UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited) facilitation center to download and submit the required form along with the necessary documents.
What documents do I need to submit for getting a duplicate PAN card?
You need to submit a duly filled and signed Form for Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data, along with a copy of FIR, proof of identity (such as an Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID, etc.), and proof of address (such as Aadhaar card, passport, utility bills, etc.).
How long does it take to get a duplicate PAN card?
The processing time for a duplicate PAN card may vary depending on the facilitation center and the completeness of your application. It usually takes around 15-20 working days to receive a duplicate PAN card after submitting a complete and error-free application.
How can I prevent losing my PAN card in the future?
To prevent losing your PAN card in the future, you can take measures such as keeping your PAN card in a safe place, avoiding carrying it unnecessarily and making photocopies or digital copies for reference.